This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG.

Calling all contractors...

Discussion about non-SAP related issues: Inquiries, Personal & Commercial advertisements, etc. ( For registered users only)

Moderators: rtella, Snowy, thx4allthefish, The Prince Of Darkness

Calling all contractors...

Postby Dr Sidewalk » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:26 am

What would you say your top 5 agencies were?.

For me it's:

o Harvey Nash
o Whitehall Resources
o Square One
o Elan
o Huntress

Dr Sidewalk
Yes, you can tell I'm about to end my contract ;)
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" - Albert Einstein
"Money isn't everything in life, unless you don't have it"
"Fail to plan, plan to fail"
"Success is a journey, not a destination."
Dr Sidewalk

Re: Calling all contractors...

Postby bill_sd » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:27 pm

Right now it's
o Me
o Myself
o I

but I would be interested to here others, since I currently have no project and am quickly running out of beer money
bill_sd

Postby The Prince Of Darkness » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:53 am

There is no such thing as a good or bad agency. It's all down to the individual.

Pavement - if you want a couple of decent names, let me know by PM what it is you are looking for and I'll put you in touch
Former SAP PM, looking to move in Lawn Mower business
The Prince Of Darkness

Location: Either on a train or in a pub (if neither, arguing with an Eastern Block work colleague)

Postby Dr Sidewalk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:18 am

That's not exactly 100% true POD. While I agree with you to a degree regarding the individuals, I know for sure that a certain London agency (used by Axon a lot) have lost a large percentage of their long-term staff in a very short period of time. This is bound to have an effect, and indeed, from the phone conversations that I've had with some of their new staff if definitely seems to be true.

Also, some agencies have rules/practices which greatly help contractors. For example, Elan generally pay (according to their terms) 5 to 6 days after times submission, and a number of other agents have similar practices, but not all agencies offer this, paying several months later in some cases. So, there is a difference between them in regards to their overall service.

Dr Sidewalk
Dr Sidewalk

Postby sapsepo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:55 am

Dr Sidewalk wrote:

Also, some agencies have rules/practices which greatly help contractors. For example, Elan generally pay (according to their terms) 5 to 6 days after times submission, and a number of other agents have similar practices, but not all agencies offer this, paying several months later in some cases. So, there is a difference between them in regards to their overall service.

Dr Sidewalk

5 or 6 days after time submission?
You are very lucky in the UK....
sapsepo

Postby Dr Sidewalk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:02 am

That was standard for Elan in ths UK, on a project I've only just finished. And, when I was with Huxley, working abroad last year, I arranged a 5 day payment agreement. If you don't ask you don't get. Mind you that Huxley agreement was in place of a rate increase, which I knew I would not get, so went for something else beneficial.

Dr Sidewalk
Dr Sidewalk

Postby sapsepo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:34 am

Dr Sidewalk wrote: If you don't ask you don't get. Mind you that Huxley agreement was in place of a rate increase, which I knew I would not get, so went for something else beneficial.

Dr Sidewalk

I am happy to hear that!
You are working with serious people. At the moment I should be paid 60 days after my invoice, but sometime I wait 60 days, sometime even 90 (and sometime I am not getting paid. :-( ).
It's very difficult on the italian market to find serious people, who do what the say...
sapsepo

Postby Android » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:20 pm

My top 5 agencies are (in no particular order);

1) Lorien
2) Harvey Nash
3) ?
4) ?
5) ?

Sorry, these are the only two that stand out for me as these were the only ones who bothered to update me throughout the process. From my experience, all other agencies forgot who I was if my CV failed to be short listed by the client ....... just wish those agencies had the common decency to let me know :evil:
I'm not prejudiced, I hate everyone.
Save the Earth ...... It's the only planet with beer!
Android

Postby bgamble » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:48 am

Dr Sidewalk wrote:o Harvey Nash
o Whitehall Resources
o Square One
o Elan
o Huntress

I am surprised to see Whitehall Resources so high on your list. I have been pretty underwelmed by them so far. But they do pay on time
In my opinion, Pepper Spray is underutilized as an effective tool for scope control
bgamble

Postby Whoa_Nellie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:27 pm

On the other side of the pond in the (former) colonies I'd give these five not necessarily in any order of merit, the primary and most important qualification being they pay on time :P , second they have good projects properly supported :!: :
1) Main Sail
2) B2B Workforce
3) Global Source IT
4) Black Diamond Networks
5) Revolution Technologies
Whoa_Nellie

Postby Dr Sidewalk » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:53 am

Android,

It's funny you should mention the fact that only a few agents get back to you after putting you forward for roles. In my experience this seems to be very common.
A lot of companies put roles out to many agencies and ask them to submit their two best CV's suitable for the role. However, when an agent chooses your CV as one of the two to put forward you would expect to updated with the status at the very least, but this rarely happens. In the cases where this happened I have found that I'm more likely to use that agent again.

One think I have noticed though, especially other the last few months. Few roles are specific to one agency and you often find that many agents are touting the same role, although it's funny how the rates differ. Some agents can be flexible with their rates as they are given the power to do this, just as long as they make the sale, as it were. Some agencies have rigid percentages, like Red commerce for example, but I'm sure there are others.

Regards

Dr Sidewalk
Dr Sidewalk

Postby Dr Sidewalk » Mon May 11, 2009 7:36 am

On this subject. I've had two friends contact me (one of Friday and one today) to ask for advice because their Agency is being underhanded. I can't give details yet until their situation is resolved and they agree for me to share the info, but as soon as they do I'll post details.

It is dispicable though the things Agencies try when the market gets tough. It shows desperation I think.
So, watch out, the two agencies in question are reasonably sized.

Dr Sidewalk
Dr Sidewalk

Return to General Talks