Adding a Hyperlink on Technical objects

Logistics : PM and its sub-modules & SM

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, PJA

sappmcs

Adding a Hyperlink on Technical objects

Post by sappmcs » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:19 pm

The requirement is to add a hyperlink (for a picture/map) to the technical object. This is a requirement in Utility industry where they have a repository of Maps for the equipment in the ground and need an ability of viewing these maps through equipment master. These maps are dynamic ..i.e.. they get updated based on field work performed and the business uses a tool similar to autocad to update them.

Adding a field in the Classification doesn't give the ability to click to open a file.

Any ideas??

Shh..

PJA

Re: Adding a Hyperlink on Technical objects

Post by PJA » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:02 am

In the top left-hand side of the screen you will see a button for "Services for Object"

You can use this functionality to add a hyperlink.

Alternatively, you could use the DMS functionality.

PeteA

SpursFan

Post by SpursFan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:20 am

Just to clarify the dynamic update part...

If you use services for object you will want to "CREATE URL". The URL is just a pointer to a file on a shared server. Thus when the file is updated the URL link gets the updated information. If you choose the "CREATE ATTACHMENT" option this takes a snapshot of this file and stores it inside of SAP. whenever a user selects an attachment they will see the snapshot of the picture.

In the DMS world a similar thing happens. If you create a document it will ask for a link (think link acts like the URL above; however when you check the document in it acts like an attachment.

sappmcs

Post by sappmcs » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks Pete and SpursFan for the information.
"Services for Object" to add a hyperlink is exactly what we need.

One more question, any ideas on how to add this link based on a given set of equipment numbers. I tried using LSMW but the Services for Object is not available (the button does not show up in the recording) for recording.

Shh...

SpursFan

Post by SpursFan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:28 pm

services for objects is a funny thing. It is not part of the transaction think of it as a tool that sits on top of a lot of other transactions.

You can probably do a LSMW for CV01N, though.

I also have a software that allows you to create a comma seperated file and load up document links in mass or using drag and drop. I can demo it to you if you want to send me a PM.

PJA

Post by PJA » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:22 am

sappmcs,

Try asking the question in the ABAP Forum, they may know of a solution.

PeteA

Bothy

Post by Bothy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:10 am

Hi,

We went the DMS path and created an LSMW which created the document and assigned it to the object. The document contained the URL to the drawings. We chose DMS over services for objects because attaching a SAP document shows an icon on the technical object initial screen and also on any notifications or work orders where that equip/floc is in the header. So it is very visible that there is more information somewhere. The services for object gives no visible indication of attached documents.

Otherwise they work pretty much the same.

Bothy.

PJA

Post by PJA » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:04 am

Bothy,

That's a really valid point regarding the visibility of drawings.

We had to develop a solution to set a user-status on the equipment/floc to show that there were SfO assignments, and even then it wasn't visible in the order/notification (that would have been another development..)

PeteA

SpursFan

Post by SpursFan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:24 am

It seems to me that the SAP wizards really intended SFO's to be "temporary" in nature. And DMS were really more intended for "important data" like drawings, spec sheets, etc.

The reason in believe this is because SFO's are just able everywhere (work orders, notifications, equipments, and etc.). The work orders and notification have a relatively short life span.

While DMS are only on more stationary long life items (i.e. materials, equipments, FLocs).

The result just like everything in SAP. The SAP sales people get to say "You can do anything in SAP"..but they don't give a whole lot of insights and explanation, which causes people learn via trial and error.