WBS status

Logistics : PS

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish

Angus

WBS status

Post by Angus » Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:25 pm

Hi, sappers,

During project creation, some milestones have been set in network activities for function release until stop indicator. But I can not release network activity directly in Change Network screen because the system tells the WBS element is not released yet. So the activity can only be released directly in project builder and the corresponding WBS element will be set status 'PREL'. But the 'PREL' status does not allow actual cost posting manually. So the WBS element has to be released manually again.
I can not release WBS element before activity release because the release should be triggered by final confirmation of previous activity with milestone function. Then how can I deal with the WBS status? I wish to release the WBS while the corresponding activity is released, is it possible?

LKa

CJ02

Post by LKa » Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:17 am

Use CJ02 if you only want to set the WBS statuses.

br
Lasse

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:10 am

Thanks, LKa.
But you may not get my point. I don't want to release WBS and activity independantly. I want to confirm an activity and trigger the milestone to release the following activities. But the WBS element status restricts all activity status assigned to it. Does it mean I have to release all WBS element in CJ02, and then confirm the activity to trigger milestone functions? Or there may be some better idea?
Any comments will be appreciated.

fatman

WBS status

Post by fatman » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:16 am

Hi Angus,

No need to release all the WBS or project.Select the WBS you have assigned and release it and save it.
Without change of status you cannot collect actual cost or do milestone or confirmation.

FATMAN

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:16 pm

Hi, fatman,

I know your idea. So in your opnion, WBS element and network activity have to be released independantly. But in a complex project, it is not so easy to determine which WBS should be released for actual cost posting as WBS elements are not list in sequence. If I can control WBS element status by network activity milestone, it will be much better. What do think about it?

GK

Post by GK » Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:27 pm

hi angus

here is a crazy idea

- u can write a workflow to release WBS element of activity being released
- trigger this workflow from milestone function of predecessor activity

u might have to fine tune this a bit, but i think it can work

cheers