LSMW for Variant Config BOM and Variant Config Routing?

Logistics : PP

Moderators: Snowy, thx4allthefish, Ha Tran

Dogbomber

LSMW for Variant Config BOM and Variant Config Routing?

Post by Dogbomber » Fri May 15, 2009 8:50 pm

Dear all

It is my first post in PP section. Hope you all can guide me.

Quesiton 01:
I need to find out if it is easy to create LSMW for
1. Variant Config BOM
2. Variant Config Routing

Quesiton 02:
I remember for BOM we need to use 2 excel file to upload due to One header with multiple line items.
1. What is the best LSMW method to use? Direct input or Batch recording?
2. Do we need 2 excel files for VC BOM and VC Routing?

I need to estimate the effort needed, if LSMW is next to impossible to do it (I fail to use LSMW to do OPEN PO as there is no field for Collective Number), I will use BAPI or ABAP help.

Please advise.

Thank you very much!

bill_sd

Re: LSMW for Variant Config BOM and Variant Config Routing?

Post by bill_sd » Mon May 18, 2009 10:12 am

Congrat's on your first post.

I have never used LSMW to load a VC bom. Mainly due to the fact that all the Object dependencies need to be syntax-checked in the system-of-record, and I've never seen anything outside of SAP that can do that.
Are these coming from another existing SAP system perhaps ?

Dogbomber

Post by Dogbomber » Mon May 18, 2009 11:05 am

actually, we are translating all these from a legacy system into SAP and it is MTO environment.

Need advice on it.

bill_sd

Post by bill_sd » Wed May 20, 2009 4:50 pm

A non-SAP legacy system? I have tried this before from numerous "legacy" configurators and the best we could get was 80% compatilibity, with no guarantees, and a lot of effort in writing the translation logic.
The configurator is a "state" engine, there is minimal procedural-type rules; and odds are that the way your rules and master data were used in legacy is way different than in SAP.

If you are talking lots of volume of data to convert, the best thing is to LSMW the separate peices, but the rules will need to be analysed and re-written, for the most part. Once it's all pieced together in SAP, you need to test test test.

After that there are basic mechanisms to move all the configurable stuff between clients.

erik0972

Post by erik0972 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:32 pm

We recently completed a successful cutover from a non-SAP system for one of our operations requiring variant configuration
As part of that cutover we did develop BOTH an LSMW for super-BOMs and super Routings .. primarily due to the need to attach dependencies to components and operations as well as allocate components to operations
Generally worked well ... biggest problem was the allocation of components to operations
and - yes you'll need separate LSMWs for these objects
At this time I can't provide more detai - the developer from out implementation partner is unavailable until mid June ... I can cehck when he reutrns and provide further information at that time .. .I can tell you that he is really good with this funcationality - it probably required 1-2 days of his time for each of the LSMWs

However - as to the comment
"I have never used LSMW to load a VC bom. Mainly due to the fact that all the Object dependencies need to be syntax-checked in the system-of-record"
it sound like this is related to the use of local dependencies
out approach was to define global dependencies - we developed an LSWM to load these objects as well ... any syntax problems 'locked' the dependency - these were either manually resolved in SAP or reloaded with the LSMW in change mode
at that point the dependencies were merely referenced on the BOM and routing loads - no worries about syntax check since this had already been accomplished

A few final words on our approach ...
(1) we set up a 'VC development client' ... (2) all materials for an operations to this client using our normal migration methodology for the objects ... (3) used LSMW to load characteristics, classes, dependencies and as noted above, super-BOMs and super-routings - configuration profiles were generally handled maually [the number of configurable objects was always managable in this area] ... (4) VC data was fine-tuned, corrected, etc. in the VC client ... (5) migaration to the production client used ALE for characteristics, classes, dependencies, configuration profiles, super-BOMs - the routings cannot be migrated via ALE so these were reloaded with the LSMW

the recent cutover noted above was the 4th within a 9 month period - all of which had some level of VC required and each got mor sophisticated in what we could load electronically via LSMW

hope this helps

msksapsg

Post by msksapsg » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:40 am

Hello Team,

We are planning to upload legacy variant configuration modules to SAP VC modules, could you please let us know the process steps...